Sunday, January 17, 2010

War Horse: What is It Good For?

I don’t consider myself a theater person at all. I am a student of film, and find the over-acting both annoying and distracting. I understand why it is done of course, but I find that it creates a poor substitute for a movie. I love the subtleties captured on film and prefer cinematic techniques to stagehand techniques.

War Horse is probably the first professional play I have attended. The preview looked hilarious to me – you gotta see how serious the actors are taking this giant horse puppet. There were three possible scenarios for this play.

A. I would love it and appreciate the critically-acclaimed play

B. I would hate the play for being so ridiculous, but enjoy the humor in breaking it down

C. It would be in the middle, and I could not make fun of it or actually like the play

It was C. for me. It is impossible not to be impressed with the puppetry involved. The horses have a slight steam-punk motif that I can certainly get behind. Movements seemed as realizitic as you can get for being a giant puppet impressively controlled by three puppeteers.

The first 20 minutes or so were filled with boring, drawn-out scenes to establish characters and show off puppet-play. The rest of the play teertered on being a child’s tale of a boy loving his animal a little too much (cliché) and then there were adult elements like the relationship between the drunk father and his son (cliché). I also felt there was an inadequate display of why “Joey” was a special horse. The boy in the play, Albert, seemed crazy for him…almost obsessed for no good reason other than his status as a horse. The story was unoriginal and poorly developed. It also suffered from simply being a play – an animated cartoon would have sufficed just fine.

I did find humor in drawing comparisons to Forrest Gump – Albert seemed just as mentally-slow as Forrest, and whined about “Joey” just as much as “Jenny” was mentioned in the movie. In a war scene, Albert’s best friend turned out to be a black guy (Bubba?) and he died as well. (That happens in war…)

But anyway, the theater teacher said it was one of the best plays he had ever seen. If that is the case, then most plays must really suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment